When browsing through the products at Kore Original, you’ll likely notice that we offer formulas made specifically for our customers’ furry friends. The more we learn about the hemp plant, the more we understand the unique value that it offers not only to humans, but to all mammals. But, that doesn’t mean that any old hemp product can be administered to your beloved cat or dog. To ensure that your pet is being given the very best in hemp-based care, it’s crucial to understand how to shop for CBD-based products for pets, and how to administer hemp to maximize the results.
Is CBD Helpful for Pets?
Cannabinoids found in the hemp plant offer humans such a wide spectrum of uses because of how these compounds work with the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS) to achieve homeostasis. Cannabinoids attach to this system’s cannabinoid receptors located all throughout the body, which triggers a chemical reaction that regulates individual bodily functions.
The endocannabinoid system is not unique to humans, as our cats and dogs have an endocannabinoid system as well. Overall, this means that the properties of the hemp plant that we derive value from can be just as effective for our pets.
Studies done specifically on CBD for pets are somewhat limited, but they do exist and show a lot of promise. One study found that dogs who were administered CBD were less reactive to fireworks, a known stress trigger. Another study performed at Cornell University showed that dogs who were administered CBD showed fewer symptoms of osteoarthritis.
What Else Can CBD Do for Pets?
Because our pets’ ECS look a lot like our own, the properties that we can derive from CBD may be just as noticeable in your pets.
- Discomfort relief: CBD has both anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that can work together to minimize physical discomfort that is caused by all kinds of factors.
- A Mellower Mood: CBD is known for its soothing effect on the mind, which can be helpful for hyperactive or easily frightened pets.
- Increase in appetite: Many people use CBD for appetite support, finding that it helps them develop a stronger appetite to take in more calories and nutrients each day.
- Immune effects: We know that CBD works with CB2 receptors found in the immune system for a wide array of regulatory effects.
- Digestive Balance: Various studies have found that CB2 receptors in the gut use cannabinoids to balance overall function and inflammation levels.
Is it Advisable to Administer CBD to a Pet?
Like we said, pets have endocannabinoid systems, just like humans, that are specially designed to use cannabinoids to support equilibrium throughout the body. Cannabinoids are nontoxic to all mammals, which is why we humans can tolerate such high amounts of them each day.
However, there are a couple of things to be mindful of.
- You should only ever give your pet a product that is made specifically for them. Pets have two needs when it comes to CBD that are unique:
- Milligram strength (potency) is appropriate for their body weight.
- Product does not contain any ingredients that can cause harm to their bodies, such as certain types of essential oils found in many human CBD products.
- It’s absolutely critical that you speak with a veterinarian prior to administering CBD to your pet. Just be aware that veterinarians are not legally allowed to recommend CBD to pet owners due to the fact that it hasn’t yet been approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) for pet use.
CBD Oil vs. CBD Treats: Which is Best for Your Cat or Dog?
There are two main types of CBD-infused products that you will find for administering to pets, as each can offer the same effects, just in a different manner. Keep in mind though, that neither of these products is objectively “better” than the other. It’s just a matter of knowing your pet’s unique needs and preferences. Then, it comes down to selecting the ideal product type accordingly.
Product Type #1: CBD Oil
The more versatile option of the two, CBD oil comes in a dropper bottle that makes it easy to add a certain desired amount to a pet’s food bowl or administer to them directly by applying it to the oral tissue. Can even be used for topical purposes if necessary. If you want to make your own DIY pet treats, CBD oil can be used in a recipe.
Product Type #2: CBD Dog Treats
Great for food-motivated canines and felines, as treats are flavored to appeal to your pet’s senses, all while providing them with the ideal serving size of hemp per piece. Can come in different sizes and shapes, as well has hard or soft treats.
How Much CBD Should Your Pet Be Given Daily?
The rule of thumb when it comes to giving both cats and dogs CBD is that they should be given 1-2 milligrams for every 10 pounds. This applies to all product types/delivery methods taken internally, and whether 1 or 2 milligrams is more appropriate depends on their specific needs and reason for taking hemp.
To make your life easier, almost all CBD pet products come with clear dosing instructions on the label. This way, you can know for certainty that you’re giving them the best amount for their bodies to handle.
Kore Original CBD Pet Products: Designed with Your Pet’s Needs in Mind
Kore Original is proud to craft high-quality CBD for pet care and your precious companion’s needs. These products are made with lab-tested, organically grown hemp material, and combined with ingredients that are natural and known to be gentle on their bodies. Plus, they are THC-Free and contain zero chems. Come check out our CBD Pet Oil and CBD Dog Treats today in order to get your pet started on a fully effective daily hemp routine.