Question: When’s the last time you got a good night’s sleep? Before you answer, did you know that an estimated 1 out of 4 Americans have a hard time falling or staying asleep at night on at least a semi-regular basis? Well, now you do, as you know just how important it is to support the body’s natural sleep cycle in order to stay as healthy as possible. While there are all kinds of products on the market for people who have a hard time with sleep each night, few are as effective yet gentle as cannabidiol (CBD). CBD sleep gummies offer many benefits– including helping you catch those zzzzz’s!
Cannabidiol is the dominant chemical compound in the hemp plant. Being a type of compound known as a cannabinoid, CBD works with the nervous system to regulate our sleep cycle, offering a more holistic approach to acquiring restful sleep. One of the most popular products on the market for sleep is CBD gummies, which are delicious fruity gummy treats that contain the perfect amount of cannabidiol extract to offer sleep-enhancing effects to the user.
If you’re interested in trying out CBD for your sleep, let’s share everything there is to know about what CBD gummies can offer to your nightly routine. And, let’s talk about why not all CBD gummies are created equally.
Common Reasons for Poor Sleep
First, let’s talk about why some people struggle with sleep to begin with. Our body’s sleep cycle is an innate process that can get thrown out of whack due to a number of causes, so let’s go over the most common causes.
- Stress and Anxiety: Perhaps the leading cause of sleeping problems is stress and/or anxiety. And, the reason why it’s considered potentially the leading cause is because stress and anxiety are incredibly common. If your nervous system is on high alert, the ability to calm down at night can become extraordinarily difficult. Producing adrenaline constantly throughout the day due to a triggered “fight or flight” response depletes neurotransmitters in the brain that make us feel relaxed enough to fall asleep, like melatonin and serotonin.
- Poor Lifestyle Habits: Certain lifestyle habits can contribute to difficulty sleeping, like working late at night, using devices around bedtime, exercising too late in the evening, and consuming a diet high in sugar.
- Consuming a Stimulant Close to Bedtime: Stimulants like coffee and sugar keep the nervous system alert and energized, so naturally, consuming these substances too late at night can contradict our sleep response and leave us feeling wired when it’s time to go to bed.
- Physical Pain: Yes, physical pain can, and often does, keep us up. Being in pain makes it nearly impossible to relax, and this can leave us tossing and turning at night.
- Hormonal Imbalances: Imbalances of hormones like estrogen, testosterone and progesterone can sabotage our body’s innate sleep response, and this is why it’s so common for women to struggle with sleep around the times of their periods, along with when they’re going through menopause.
- Thyroid Conditions: Thyroid conditions, including hyperthyroidism, can interfere with sleep by causing changes to the nervous system.
- Medications: Certain medications may have a stimulant effect that causes difficulty sleeping.
- Nutritional Deficiencies: Deficiencies in essential nutrients like vitamin D and magnesium can cause poor sleep, as certain nutrients play a critical role in maintaining our sleep cycle.
- Recent Travel: If you’ve recently traveled from another time zone, you may experience jetlag, in which your circadian rhythm has a difficult time adjusting to an entirely new time zone.
Sleep and Your Body’s Endocannabinoid System
Before we get into the connection between sleep and CBD, we need to understand the endocannabinoid system (ECS), and the role that it has in maintaining our sleep. The endocannabinoid system is a system that is in charge of keeping us in homeostasis, and it does this by producing endocannabinoids, which attach to cannabinoid receptors (CB receptors) located in the nervous system and other system of the body. This creates a chemical reaction that regulates processes of the body, including our sleep response, as well as our mood, our pain tolerance, our inflammation levels, and much more.
Endocannabinoids are cannabinoids produced in the body, which fulfill this critical role on behalf of the ECS. The thing is that a lot of us fail to produce enough endocannabinoids, due to a number of factors ranging from genetic to dietary. The result is that processes of the body including sleep can begin to suffer.
But, the hemp plant has given us phytocannabinoids (plant-derived cannabinoids), which can provide the endocannabinoid system with what it needs to keep our critical bodily processes in check. Consuming hemp’s cannabinoids allows the body to regulate itself, and this is why cannabinoids like CBD are associated with such a staggering variety of potential benefits.
Is CBD the Best Cannabinoid Then for Sleep?
Cannabidiol, like we said, is hemp’s dominant cannabinoid, meaning that the hemp plant yields more CBD than any other compound. Also happens to be an incredibly popular cannabinoid for sleep, with a number of studies verifying just how effective it can be. CBD was discovered all the way back in the 1960s, and that means that we’ve had about 60 years to study its effects and understand exactly what it’s capable of. The consensus is clear: this compound can have a surprisingly significant part in keeping our innate sleep cycle as strong and healthy as possible.
CBD works with cannabinoid receptors that regulate important nervous system processes, including sleep, as well as our stress response, our pain tolerance, etc. What does all this mean? Basically, one single hemp derivative can help with all kinds of common culprits behind sleeping difficulties, while supporting our sleep cycle itself.
What are CBD Gummies?
CBD gummies are edibles that contain CBD-rich hemp extract, and even come in a variety of flavors and milligram strengths. Edibles like gummies are extremely easy to incorporate into a daily or nightly routine, because it’s just a matter of popping a gummy into your mouth and enjoying its juicy, sweet fruit flavor. Gummies can take up to 2 hours to take effect, but once they do, you may experience up to 8 hours of cannabidiol activity in the body.
CBD gummies are typically made using natural, clean ingredients, and many companies make vegan gummies that are gelatin-free, switching out this commonly used animal derivative for fruit-derived pectin. They taste great, because hemp doesn’t have an offensive flavor, and many people look forward to taking their daily dose.
CBD Gummies for Sleep: Do They Actually Work?
CBD gummies may be a uniquely excellent choice for someone using cannabidiol for sleep in particular – or stress, anxiety or pain. Why? Because like we said, the effects of gummies can last for up to 8 hours – pretty much the duration of time that is considered a healthy amount of sleep. Taking one gummy can mean that a person doesn’t just fall asleep, but stays asleep throughout the night, as CBD is hard at work supporting our body’s ability to get healthy shuteye.
But, the thing that’s important to remember that not all CBD gummies are created equally, and some may be much more effective than others. Not only that, but how you take your gummy can make all of the difference when it comes to the results you get from starting a new gummy routine. Let’s elaborate by going over all of the important things that you need to consider if you want success.
CBD Isolate vs. Full Spectrum vs. Broad Spectrum
First off, there are three types of hemp extracts that can be infused into gummies, and they can all play a role in how effective a gummy formula is when it comes to supporting sleep.
- CBD Isolate: Refers to pure cannabidiol, meaning that the extract of the hemp plant is a purified form of CBD without any other compounds present. CBD is, in fact, one of hundreds of individual chemical compounds in the hemp plant which can be beneficial. A gummy made with CBD isolate is providing you with a higher concentration of cannabidiol because there aren’t other compounds in the extract diluting the CBD. And, it’s good to note that CBD isolate is the only of the three that has no flavor or aroma, as hemp’s flavor and aroma come from terpene compounds in the plant which are not present in CBD isolate.
- Full Spectrum: A hemp extract that maintains the complete chemical composition of the flower buds of the plant, where we find CBD along with over 100 other cannabinoids, plus terpenes, flavonoids and nutrients like omega fatty acids. Full spectrum hemp extract also contains hemp’s trace amount of THC – about 0.3% – which is fully legal, and far too low to cause any psychoactive effects.
- Broad Spectrum: Simply full spectrum hemp with the trace amount of THC completely removed. This way, you can receive all of the valuable chemical compounds in hemp other than THC.
So, which of these three extracts is ideal for sleep? Keep in mind that all of them can be highly effective, since the main cannabinoid you’re benefiting from is cannabidiol. But, many believe that CBD alone can provide everything a person needs for sleep support, while preventing any THC from getting absorbed into the body. So, if you’re looking to avoid THC altogether but still want to enjoy a gummy that’s as effective as possible, we strongly recommend going with a CBD isolate gummy over broad spectrum gummies for sleep.
What is the Best CBD Gummy Dosage for Sleep?
Now, let’s move onto dosage. When it comes to gummies, dosing couldn’t be easier, because unlike most hemp products, gummies are consistent in milligram strength. In other words, each gummy contains the same number of milligrams of cannabidiol, so there’s no need to count or measure anything to get the same amount each day.
But, that does mean that you need to pay extra attention to the milligram strength of a gummy. For most individuals, we recommend taking 15mg-30mg daily, as this can offer plenty of sleep support. We know that this range may seem quite wide, but in reality, CBD is so gentle that there’s no need to be nervous about taking the higher end. Not to mention, some people just require stronger doses than others because of factors like their body weight, or the unique nature of their endocannabinoid system.
When Should I Take CBD Sleep Gummies?
Naturally, you will need the effects of a CBD gummy to peak as you’re sleeping. We recommend taking a gummy about 60-90 minutes prior to going to bed. We said that it can take up to 2 hours for the effects of an edible to really kick in, and there’s a reason for that. Unlike other delivery methods (tinctures, vapes, etc.), edibles can’t enable absorption of cannabidiol into the bloodstream until the formula has fully worked its way through the body’s digestive system, after which the liver processes it and sends cannabinoids into the blood where they may become effective. There is no exact length of time after which point CBD begins to become effective – it can vary a bit based on your metabolism, and even what you ate that day.
Can I Overdose on CBD Sleep Gummies?
Something that we hear a lot is, “what happens if I take too much CBD”, or “is it dangerous to take a high dose?” Fortunately, overall, you really don’t have anything to worry about. Cannabidiol is fully nontoxic to the human body – after all, our bodies produce cannabinoids on their own – and taking a high dose of CBD will not cause any level of toxicity. At the same time, you won’t get high no matter how much CBD you take, since cannabidiol is not intoxicating in any way.
Taking a very high dose of CBD can cause some extremely mild and very temporary side effects, although they are rare. These include:
- Dry mouth
- Dry eyes
As you can see, none of these potential side effects are cause for alarm, and even will wear off shortly. They’re also quite rare, as we said, so there’s a good chance you won’t experience any of them. By far, the most commonly reported side effect of taking cannabidiol is feeling drowsy, which can occur if a person has taken a very large dose, or just happens to be extremely sensitive to this symptom. However, drowsiness is also the desired effect if you’re using CBD gummies for sleep, so keep that in mind.
Can I Take CBD Gummies with Other CBD Products?
Another thing that customers ask us is whether or not it’s safe to take CBD gummies for sleep, if they’re already using another CBD product – or any hemp product, for that matter. In short, the answer is an undeniable yes. We already talked about how CBD is nontoxic, and this is actually the case for all cannabinoids. Taking two doses of CBD in a day is not dangerous, and it’s something that many people do, as they find that different hemp products fulfill different daily needs. For instance, we have customers who like to take a CBD tincture in the morning, and a gummy at night before they go to bed.
Can I Take CBD Sleeping Gummies with Other Sleep Products?
So, what about taking CBD sleep gummies with another sleep product? Well, that depends. For instance, lots of people actually find unique success taking CBD gummies along with a nightly dose of melatonin, which is an all-natural sleep hormone produced naturally in the body. But, what about a sleeping medication, either over the counter or prescription?
As a rule of thumb, if you’re going to combine CBD with either an over-the-counter or prescription sleep medication, we do suggest talking to your doctor beforehand. The reason for that is CBD can bind up CYP3A4 – an enzyme that breaks down the cannabinoid, and just so happens to also break down many common medications, including some that people take for sleep. Basically, taking high doses of cannabidiol and a sleep medication can mean that the sleep medication fails to metabolize properly, causing it to accumulate in the body which, after a certain point, can become dangerous.
What Should You Be Looking for When Choosing the Best Sleep Gummies?
If you’re seeking out CBD gummies that help you sleep, there are some specific things to be on the lookout for to make sure you’re getting the absolute best and most effective product possible. Let’s help you find the best gummies for sleep by sharing the things you should always consider before settling on any one formula.
- Third-Party Lab Results: All hemp products should undergo a strict third-party lab-testing process before being put onto the market, where the product is analyzed by a state-approved laboratory to ensure that the product is authentic, federally compliant, free of contaminants and harmful impurities, effectively potent and generally high in quality. The lab reports should be posted on the company’s website, so that customers can verify all of this information for themselves.
- A Clean Formula: Always look at the list of ingredients in a gummy before purchasing, to make sure that you’re avoiding formulas loaded with low-quality or even harmful additives and fillers. As a rule of thumb, the more natural, plant-based ingredients, the better.
- An Effective Milligram Strength: Like we said, the milligram strength matters, so find gummies that contain at least 15mg of CBD per piece to make sure you’re giving your body enough.
- A Good Reputation/Positive Reviews: Look at reviews to find out what kind of reputation the company has, since no one wants to buy CBD gummies for a company that is known to consistently disappoint customers.
- A Lack of Stimulating Ingredients: Gummies are supposed to be sweet, but make sure that they don’t contain such an incredible amount of sugar that they can actually keep you awake by causing a sugar high.
- Terpenes: Ideally, you’ll want to consider CBD gummies that contain terpenes, such as broad spectrum gummies, which we talked about earlier. Again, the synergistic benefits may give you better results.
- Small-Batch Production: It’s safe to say that companies that make their gummies in small batches can maintain better quality control, which is very important.
What are the Best CBD Gummies for Sleep?
Considering all of the information above, we strongly recommend the CBD Gummies at Kore Original, which check every single box above. Our customers consider these to be the best CBD sleeping gummies because of how effective they are, combined with the fact that our formula is extremely clean. Our gummies are made with broad spectrum hemp extract, with each piece containing 15 milligrams of CBD-rich hemp to give you noticeable results.
Best Edibles for Anxiety and Insomnia
If you’re looking for an alternative to gummies, another type of edible that we recommend is CBD capsules, which work in the same way, only without the sugar and flavoring. Kore Original CBD Capsules contain 15 milligrams of CBD isolate, which provides you with an ultra-concentrated cannabidiol extract that can lull you to sleep.
What Should I Do if My CBD Gummies Aren’t Working?
Sometimes, a customer will reach out to us and tell us that they didn’t get the expected results with our CBD gummies. There are a few reasons for this, so let’s help you troubleshoot should this happen to you.
By far, the most common reason for this is simply that the user didn’t take enough. Like we said earlier, some of us require more milligrams than others to get the effects we’re seeking out, due to things like our body weight, or how deficient our bodies are in endocannabinoid systems. In this case, simply take 2 gummies each night instead of 1, and that should make a difference.
Another potential reason is that you’re taking it at the wrong time. We said it can take about 1-2 hours for gummies to absorb and become effective, but the exact amount of time is different for everyone. If it takes you about a couple hours to process your gummies, and you’re taking them an hour before bedtime in hopes of falling asleep fast, it’s likely that the gummies just aren’t peaking quickly enough for you. So, try taking your gummy dosage 2 hours before bed instead, and see if that helps.
Will I Feel Side Effects the Next Day?
Let’s face it – a lot of sleep-enhancing products out there may work, but they make us feel off the next day. Maybe we wake up with grogginess that continues into our work hours, or we find ourselves uncoordinated and dizzy. The good news with CBD is that next-day side effects are practically never reported. Like we said, gummies tend to stay effective for up to 8 hours, and once those effects wear off, there aren’t any real negative after-effects that the user has to deal with.
If anything, our customers often report that they wake up feeling more refreshed and ready for the day after taking a CBD gummy for sleep. And, this isn’t a coincidence. Cannabidiol feeds the body’s endocannabinoid system, with regulates all systems of the body to help us obtain a feeling of equilibrium and balance – aka homeostasis. So, it would make sense that consuming a serving of CBD every 24 hours would mean that your body is operating to its fullest potential at all hours of the day, following our natural energy cycle to help us sleep at night and feel alert and focused during the daytime.
Can I Give CBD Sleep Gummies to My Child?
We do get asked often if our CBD sleep gummies are child-safe. At the end of the day, this is a question for your child’s pediatrician, as we cannot offer medical advice. Children do take CBD, but whether or not our gummies are right for your child is something that you should discuss with a licensed medical professional, who can make certain recommendations based on your child’s unique needs and medical history.
Get The Best Gummies for Sleep Support Thanks to Kore Original!
Kore Original CBD Gummies remain one of our best-selling products, with 15mg of lab-tested broad spectrum hemp extract in each and every piece. Our gummies provide the body with a highly effective serving of hemp that may support not only sleep, but the body’s homeostasis as a whole. And, they couldn’t be easier to work into a nightly routine, as all that you need to do is open the packet and eat a delicious morsel of quality ingredients.
If you’re looking for a natural and gentle yet effective way to improve your sleep, our CBD gummies are a fantastic choice. They aren’t associated with harsh side effects or next-day grogginess, and they can be taken nightly without concern about dependency issues. Meanwhile, the ingredients are free of harmful additives that can lead to cumulatively negative effects in the body. Now’s the time to find out if CBD really is capable of giving you the consistent, easy sleep that you deserve.